We hope your Thanksgiving was full of family, friends, food and fun. We hope, for those of you who like a good bargain, that Black Friday and Cyber Monday brought you many steals and deals.
Now, we hope you will help us have a successful #GivingTuesday by supporting the League of Women Voters of Maine and our efforts to make democracy work better in Maine.
Top ten reasons to support LWVME in 2015:
10. Registering new voters. On National Voter Registration Day, at naturalization ceremonies across the state, and throughout the year the League is there making sure citizens are registered. So far this year, we have helped to register more than 400 new voters.
9. Annual Easy-to-Read Voter Guide. The 2015 guides helped Portland voters make informed decisions on the mayoral race, and all Maine voters got the facts on the statewide ballot questions.
8. Open Dialogue and Civil Discourse. Through candidate and issue forums the League gave voters an unbiased place to ask questions and get them answered.
7. Advocacy. Providing expert testimony in Augusta on voting rights and laws that encourage voter participation.
6. All-Volunteer. That’s right. The League does all this great work and more through volunteers.
5. Holding our local and state officials accountable. The League is a leading voice in Maine for your right to know and our right to a government free of corruption and undue influence.
4. Ranked Choice Voting in Maine. Ranked Choice Voting is certified for the ballot in 2016, which would give voters the power to rank candidates from favorite to least favorite, thanks in part to the League’s leadership.
3. Pushing Back against Big Money in Politics. YES on 1 passed, strengthening our landmark, first-in-the-nation Clean Elections system and bringing more transparency and accountability to Maine elections.
2. Nonpartisan. The League continues to be one of a few nonpartisan, grassroots, political organizations working on behalf of all voters, and we are proud of this heritage.
1. Your voice. Your vote. It’s what makes democracy work and it’s why the League of Women Voters of Maine is here, working every day for you to make sure your vote counts, your voice is heard.
#GivingTuesday is propelled by those who believe that passion and commitment can make a difference.
We certainly believe that here at the League of Women Voters of Maine.
If you want to help us make a difference, please make a donation today to support our work.
President, League of Women Voters of Maine